Monday, July 18, 2011

Merlot, anyone?

How exciting... and frightening at the same time. Here I am at my first liblogary (library that I blog about) and I am terrified where to start. Let's see... what did I say I would write about, again? I am realizing that until I get into the swing of posting, the first posts about the liblogaries will be more informative. They may be long, they may be short. I hope you, reader, if I have any, will gain something out of these posts. Whether it be a review, inspiration, a laugh, or even a story to read, I hope you will get something. If not, then I am thrilled to document my adventures for my own resource. These posts will be more of a thing to look back on what I observed when I traveled.

Before I get too specific, we'll start with the location.

This liblogary is at 644 W. Belmont, Chicago, IL. It's a branch of the Chicago Public Library system. This branch is called, "Merlo." Add the letter "t" and you have yourself a fantastic beverage. The outside is beautiful on the west side because the tan brick wall is swallowed with green Ivy. The yard the Ivy looks at every day is the front yard of a Catholic church/school. There is a working pool/fountain about 30 feet from the wall. As you walk by the front of the liblogary, there is a large sheet of paned windows. This serves as the entryway, naturally built with wheelchairs in mind. It's rather sad, but I'm sensing that the upkeep for most libraries is dwindling. Perhaps it's because of the lack of funds. In a few posts, I'll share a story about a peculiar fictional library I created. Now, with the inside of this liblogary.

The inside reminds me of a poorly funded, yet, clean elementary school. Of course, I would trust this place with children, but not for more than an hour. The thing that bugs me with this library is its size and lack of character. It has two stories, a ground, and second. I am guessing at the time of being built, which was probably around the 1980s, it was going for a clean-cut/lamely modern feel. It might have been remodeled on the inside in the early 90s. The walls are cream-colored, the trim and bookshelves are a pastel hunter green, and the carpet looks like something you would find in a church fellowship hall. There isn't a large book selection, but I am impressed with the DVD collection.

2nd floor
When I first walked in, I waited in line for an available librarian (there were only two). I wasn't carrying any books except my laptop case. Next thing I know, these two guys (about 18 or 19), cut in front of me without saying a word. It was if I didn't exist. The librarian didn't seemed phased. I didn't care much, because I didn't want to borrow any books, but that act made me think of the attitude of my generation--quick and selfish... surprise, surprise. Oh well. I can only encourage. Anyway, when it was my turn, I inquired about obtaining a library card. The librarian seemed bored as she explained the process of needing a Chicago address on either a license or two pieces of mail--nothing I didn't know, but I was secretly hopeful that the librarian would be thrilled to see a Chicago newb and offer to give more information about the establishment. Maybe this will encourage my librarian readers to be passionate about where they work--you have no idea how inspiring you can be to a person. Librarians have been iconic as people full of knowledge and passionate towards seeking more knowledge through reading--a dying activity.

Mr. Tire
Here's something quirky to talk about. A short and thin middle-class gentleman in his late forties just walked onto the second floor (where I'm perched), typically wearing brown flip-flops, tan shorts, a blue t-shirt, and a white Matco Tools hat (name significance? I have no idea, but it adds detail). In his right hand, he was carrying a bicycle wheel. Being from a small town in Michigan, one could leave both his car door and front door to his house unlocked for a long period of time and still be cool about it. I forget the different lifestyle Chicagoans lead--always aware, generally looking out to be cautious and safe, and random. Now, he's just sitting in the reading are I'm in looking at a TIME Magazine with a fish on the cover. The subtitle reads, "The Future of Fish." To me, the immediate thought I get is that means Americans are trying to find something else to worry about because it sells. The funniest part is the bicycle wheel is leaning against the chair he's sitting in. I can only speculate, but maybe he's playing a nasty little trick on his wife and stole her tire. Oh, as of right now, I only have the camera quality of my jenky laptop. I kinda like it, but I'm in the market for a Canon Powershot and some photography classes.

Overall, this library will probably be a haven for me until I find one with more character. The lack-of just isn't inspiring me enough. But this will be a challenge to dig inspiration out of whatever you fall into. I would rate this library a 3 out of 10. 

For the sake and sanity of my readers, I hope this wasn't too boring, wordy, or even adventurous. If it was, simply put, "Too bad."

Well, I probably could write more about this place, but I suddenly feel the urge to fill my stomach. Perhaps some noodles, butter, and spaghetti sauce with a hint of Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and cheese? And perhaps, a glass of that tasty beverage mentioned in the beginning? Yes, please.

Until next time,

The Library Blogger

3 comments:

  1. That bike tire certainly is odd. I wonder if it was a security thing. I doubt someone would steal a bike with only one wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Looking forward to more comparison and contrasts as your library catalog grows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting library. The library at Kendall College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids is much classier and has cooler people working at it! Another place worth seeing is the public library in Grand Rapids! You probably know all this, if you are who i think you are...

    ReplyDelete